Monday, January 19, 2009

Poetic Justice....

When I got to work today, I was almost taken back. I had an email from a good friend here in Seoul. She was following coverage on the inauguration and I couldn't help but relive the moment I had in DC in 2005. Did you know that Barack is going to swear in on the same bible used by Abraham Lincoln? My friend said it best, "poetic justice at its finest" .......

Almost four years ago to the day, I stood in security lines for hours to witness President George W. Bush be sworn into his Presidency. Although, I am the first to admit that I am a hardcore liberal, when the chance to attend the 2005 inauguration came my way, I could not pass it up. That was the one time in my life that I put all politics aside. I did not care who I supported, I went to support America and be a patriotic part of my country.

I will never forget how excited I was. Aside from the inauguration- I was going to go to a ball too. I called my mom at about 6 am (I'm sure she remembers) to find me a tuxedo in Washington D.C. two days before the inauguration. I went for a fitting the next morning, and was well on my way to being prepared. I had to go to one of the important government buildings and wait in line for another 4 hours to pick up my companies tickets to the ball. Being a 20 year old Junior in college, this was pretty exciting stuff!

Anyways, the day of the inauguration finally came. I had two tickets for the green section. I wasn't just some person that got to hear from the street, we had actual tickets. I brought my friend Wendy (who was a Republican). I remember the grass being muddy and wet, but we still were in awe. It is a day I'll never forget.

What I would do to be able to attend Obama's inauguration. Unfortunately, while the inauguration is happening -- I'll be at work. One of the woes of living in a country that is 15 hours ahead of central standard time in the states.

Although foreigners in Korea usually get the "eye" for being American, I know deep down I'm proud of be an American. As cliche as it may sound, it's very true. Anyways, Happy Inauguration Day!

1 comment:

floreta said...

found you through sunday scribblings. what an amazing experience to witness ANY inauguration. i would love to go to obama's.. your blog seems interesting. i like your 'about me' blurb.