Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Where in the World is RK:

Sometimes I really feel like blogging, and I will make the effort to do it regularly. Other times, I get lost in the days and the days becomes nights, etc. Either way, I'm back and better than ever.


So you may be curious what I've been up to. Let me fill you in.


I. Moving Out and Moving On:


Two weeks ago my boss called me into his office. Immediately I just figured that I must have done something wrong. I sat down and to my surprise he told me that he had a "new" apartment for me. Let me start by saying that I've lived in Korea now for 20 months and I've had four apartments already. This has got to be some kind of record. Either way, he told me the details-- "much bigger than my current place, and best of all, RIGHT next to work". How my eyes lit up when I heard the words "next" to work. Currently I live about a 10 minute cab ride from work- which I'm not complaining about, however, it requires an earlier alarm and cash daily for a cab. It's going to be wonderful to sleep an extra 30 minutes and not have to worry about cabs.


II. Work: Staying or Going:


Since I decided that I had to take my boss up on the new apartment offer, it also means that I have extended my stay in Korea. You'll be happy to know that I did not sign up for another year, but I did agree to stay through the end of the semester which is the end of August. Come August, I'll have been in Korea for exactly two years. My gosh!


III. Out With the Old and in With the New:


A few weeks ago while browsing at the Apple Store, I decided to purchase a MacBook. Yes, it was an impulse buy, and NO, I do not want to hear that you hate Macs. Either way, it was a great purchase, and so far I love it. I really enjoy being able to edit my photos quickly and easily using iphoto. I definitely recommend at least giving it a chance.


Also, once I'm settled into my new apartment (which officially is tomorrow) I am buying new bed sheets. There is nothing that makes me happier than falling asleep in fresh sheets. So what if it sounds a bit gay, who doesn't like clean sheets?!


IV: Always on the Go, Because I Can:


Two weekends ago, a friend and I went to Tokyo, Japan. Some gave me a weird look when I said that I was going to Tokyo for the weekend. I will say, Tokyo, cannot be done in a weekend. Please, give it some respect, and stay three days or more. While I enjoyed a great brunch, an amazing view from both the dream bridge and Tokyo tower, and some laughs inside the park at Disney-- I left disappointed that I couldn't see some more.


Because my traveling bug never goes away, I'm planning a little getaway to Hong Kong at the end of the month. More details to follow, as I'm waiting to see how much my check is and if I can book tickets yet for my summer vacation. Destination: Unknown.


V: In my Spare Time, Because Really I Have Zero:


A few weeks ago a friend emailed me about a start-up website that she wanted to create. She put together a team, she purchased a domain, and she was quick to hand out assignments. Although I really have zero free time during the week, I decided that I wanted to be part of it. Humbleopinions.net is not up and running yet, but it should be soon. I wrote my first review last week, or at least attempted to. I realized quick that I had not written any sort of book review in 3 years, but tried not to let this bother me too much.


I tackled "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Marc Haddon. Since it was my first go at a book review, I'll spare you the details.

My next book, which I just picked up this past weekend is "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. I've heard wonderful things and I'm excited to get to it.


VI: Sleep is for the Weak, but I Really Do Need it:


I am getting even less sleep now then when I was working out nightly. Once I move tomorrow, I'm back on a routine. I now live right next to a track, and there is no excuse for why I can't work out on a regular basis. I am hoping to get back into shape, or at least to where I was before I went home for Christmas. Fifteen pounds lighter sounds wonderful.


2 am bedtimes just aren't for me anymore, and hopefully if I go to bed even an hour earlier each night, these bags under my eyes will find a new home.


VII: Social Butterfly, Believe it or Not:


For months I didn't go out at night. Part of this was because I hated my life and work, part of this was because my lack of friends, and probably a huge part of it was because of my negative attitude about everything.


In the past five-six weeks I've really tried to lighten up, and to get out more. I have made new friends, and I actually went out on a Saturday night.


I live for Monday night Chicken and Beer now, and having guy friends. Something else that has been missing from my life for two+ years now. It's been really weird not having any friendships with males since I came to Korea. I'm glad things are changing.


VIII: In the Not So Distant, Future:


A few months back I applied to go back to school for a second Master's in Education. After completely applying, I found out that I had to take a test before they could consider my application. What I hate about this was that I made many calls before applying, and everyone gave me the green light, go ahead.


While there is a way around it, and I could go back to school in the fall... I'm using this as a sign. Maybe I should do something with the degrees I already have. While I do love being a teacher, maybe it's not my calling?


IX: Goals, Whether Realistic or Not:


I made a list of goals in February, and I haven't even looked back to see if I did well with them. Either way, I do have some new goals that I plan to stick with.


a. STOP using my CREDIT CARD
b. Stay positive at work, even when others are not
c. Do something fun for myself only ONCE a month
d. Eat out less, eat healthy more
e. RUN three days a week, and sign up for a marathon!
f. Call home more, and write more letters to friends and family
g. Enjoy the time I have left here in Seoul


X: Because Enough is Enough:


Even though I really do not keep track of who follows my blogs, know that I probably miss you lots. I'm living my life day to day- Starbucks in one hand, a red marking pen in the other. I miss home daily, but should focus on the fact that I am lucky to have a job, and be living in such an amazing city. The world really is an amazing place.

1 comment:

Reuben said...

Cool updates - I think Ten-Mile-Britt is going to do a marathon later in the spring/early in the summer...give her a shout out, maybe. She's fast though...hence the name.