Monday, November 19, 2007

snow in November, oh my!

The first snow is falling and it's only mid-November! How crazy! I mean, really, we don't even get snow in Chicago until at least after Thanksgiving. It's been freezing lately. I have no idea how cold, but only that it's been below 0 degrees Celsius. Meaning, below 32 degree Fahrenheit. Tonight on my way home from work it was pouring rain, and I knew right away it was going to turn to snow. Then I heard thunder and saw flashes of lightning outside and thought. The rain turned to turn, but the thunder was still happening. I thought for a quick second that the world was going to come to an end! eek! If there is snow on the ground tomorrow I'll definitely take pictures.

This past weekend was the rock climbing/mountain ridge hiking trip. I really didn't know what to expect. I mean, I thought I did, but I didn't. First of all, I didn't know what "ridge hiking" was. It basically means that you hike on the really steep ridges that line the sharp cliffs of the mountains. The first day was easy for the most part. I mean, I was scared when I was to repel backwards, but I got the hang of it quickly. I was exhausted though by dinner time, considering Jamie, John, and I made the mistake of going out the night before and staying out until 2. My alarm went off at 5:30 and we caught the bus for Seoul at 6. To say the least it was a LONG LONG day. Thankfully I got to catch some z's on the four hour bus ride. Saturday night we had a huge bonfire, but it didn't last too long- people were ready for bed around 10 or 11. The next day, however, we did what I think was about a five-hour hike. It was obscene. Many times, I seriously feared my life. As did Jamie. We kept saying, "I can't believe I paid 100 dollars to put my life on the line like this". Seriously, to put things into perspective for you- you'd be walking with your head down, then look out and realize that there were sharp, hundred feet drops on either side of the path! No railing! Sometimes, when the path abruptly ended to a rock face we had to climb up, there'd be a rope attached to the rock to hold onto our lives with. Really, if we tripped and fell a little to the side, we would die. That'd be it. It was a lot of fun though, and I met some new people again which is cool! It was brutally cold, and when I post pictures you'll understand!

Jamie was shocked that we didn't have to sign a waiver, and after I thought about it me too! I kept asking the Korean man that was like our "tour" guide what he thought of the hike- and this was what they consider an "easy" hike, however, it seemed that everyone struggled a big. But it was a great great hike and experience over all.

I'm honestly way too tired to post pictures right now, so I'll do that in a separate blog. Just be happy to get some typed words at this point. Phone teaching started today, so that is like another 10 hours of work I have to do a week. Lovely.

My friends need to blog more, or at least comment more! Ok, good night :)

No comments: